Monday 30 March 2015

More Baby Things!

I'm so paranoid that the owl earflap hat wouldn't even fit a newborn because it is just so small, so I decided to knit something a little bigger this time that would hopefully fit even a one year old. As a result, I feel like I made the cutest project ever: the Apple Blossom Cardigan.

The cardigan, the bow, and close-ups of the edge and lace pattern!
 
Cardigan without the bow

The bow, I actually made from another pattern because I felt like it would be much cuter than a simple tied together bow string that the original pattern suggests. The only part I had to figure out was how I can make it so that one could clip on and clip off the little bow. Well, thank goodness I bought all those buttons, because I thought of a good solution that will utilize it! I single crocheted a long chord, and double crocheted one end for a button hole, and attached the bow with a button on the back on the other end, so that it will fit together like this:
(Left) Bow on (Right) bow off
Pretty creative right? While knitting the bow, I actually wasn't sure if I was doing it right, since before you tie the whole thing together, it looks like this:


Anyway, one of my favourite things from the cardigan pattern is that I learned to make a picot edging!! I actually had no clue what the pattern meant when it said to 'sew down the picot edges' and I had to Google it. Suddenly, all the yarn overs and k2tog made sense! The end result is so pretty and it looks much neater than a cast on/ off edge. So basically, the YO and k2tog will get you this:

After that, you literally just fold it in half, and sew it down (but having to remember to be careful to not sew into any of the stitches in the front so you won't see the seam in the front).

And so, you should end up with this:

Besides my first picot edging, it was also my first top-down cardigan. It was pretty cool to see it come together in this way, and much easier to gauge whether or not it was long enough.

Anyway, I love it! I almost want to keep it for my own future children and give my coworker something else, ha! But I won't ... hopefully, they'll love it as much as I do! I can't wait until I have kids of my own, I will knit them into the most fashionable baby ever!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment