Monday 25 August 2014

Sweet Bonnet

So, I've had this blog for a while now and I don't really advertise to anyone that I know that I have one. I'm not sure why, but I guess I'm just not certain how people will react when they find out that I love this stereotypically old granny craft so much that I'd have an entire blog dedicated to it. Anyway, so I took the plunge, and told some people that I've been writing one (since no one in real life is interested in discussing the finer details of my knitting projects), and one friend expressed interest in actually reading it (yes, this is totally directed at you, ha!), so , for the first time, I'm a little more self-conscious about what I'm actually writing. I definitely appreciate any readers though, and especially the couple of people that stumbled into my humble little blog somehow, and yet repeatedly decide to come back for a visit.

Onto the main topic though! After knitting the behemoth which is the GoT blanket, a quick easy project seemed like the way to go. I actually went ahead and knitted the neon ski bonnet I had previously mentioned about wanting to do. And I'm so glad I did it too!

I've already tried my hand at toques, beanies, and earflap hats, so knitting a bonnet was somewhat of a new territory. This pattern is so amazing because with the cables, and decorative wraps, the hat looks a lot more complicated than it actually was to make.
 
I chose it to make it out of the Icelandic wool that my sister bought for me because I thought it would keep my head extra warm during Canadian snowy weather. However, I was a little worried about using this yarn because I've read that it can be pretty scratchy and itchy. But, I figured with all my hair on my head, I wouldn't even feel it .. and I was right! Another reason that had me worried, was that because this yarn is so... wooly and fluffy, I wasn't sure if the pattern would show up as clearly as it would with regular yarn .. and it did turn out a little more fuzzy looking than the sample photos in the Ravelry link, but as you can see, not a big deal.
 
Anyway, interesting fact, the headband is actually knit as a tube first, to give extra warmth to your ears. Then, you just pick up the stitches alongside the band, and knit the rest of the hat. I was actually thinking at that point that the hat wasn't going to turn out well because it looked nothing like a bonnet, and I just couldn't imagine the end result being put together- which obviously I was wrong. It was good practice for cabling and doing twists! I think I'm pretty confident doing those skills consistently now!
 
Also, it was my first time making a pompom! That was another reason why I chose to make this pattern, because I've never made one before, and I love the challenge of trying something new (I sure wish this interest extended to activities outside of knitting). Thanks to the power of Youtube, I learned how! Basically, making one involves having to use some cardboard discs, so I had to make my own. I just found an old tissue paper box with a pretty purple flower pattern and used that. It was really fast to make, and can be put aside for future pompom making endeavors! 
 
The first pompom I made was so ugly and small and warped though- a total failure. The strands even come out if you use the least bit of strength at pulling one. So, I had to make another one, which turned out pretty perfect (and thankfully so too, since it takes quite a bit of yarn to make, so it was a good thing I had a lot of yarn left over.
Left: failed ugly pompom Right: Awesome successful pompom
Overall, a lot of fun to make, and since it was a relatively small project, it allowed me to do something during these ridiculously long breaks I sometimes have at work! I'll end with a gratuitous picture of my dog, Yuna, looking too cute in the bonnet.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment