Monday 25 August 2014

Stylish Bookmarks

This day began with the frustrating realization that one of my crochet hooks has gone missing. It especially irks me that it is missing from a set so that its absence is so noticeable. I searched high and low until I came to the unfortunate conclusion that I won't be seeing it again permanently. I think the next time I'm in Wal-Mart or Michaels though, I'll just buy myself a whole new set and donate this now incomplete one to somebody who wants it. Because I woke up to the thought of crocheting, I decided to brush up on my crocheting skills. Besides the very basics of the basics, my crochet level is no where even close to my knitting level (which makes perfect sense since I only have one project that is actually completely crocheted - and only single crocheted at that. Two projects if the border of the blanket counts I suppose).

I decided to crochet bookmarks because its quick and easy, and I can focus on one specific skill at a time. If I screw up, it isn't as big of a deal, since its only a bookmark and can be easily scrapped. Also, I have these tiny tiny little balls of yarn that I desperately want to use up. They're way too small to make anything else useful, but also too big that I can't toss them without feeling guilty. (You can see my other dog, Ellie, in this picture who is looking sad because she thought I was taking a picture of her, and she hates having her picture taken.)

Well, I learned that crocheting isn't very intuitive for me. After the finish of my bookmarks, I seriously doubt I can actually follow a written pattern. I can read it just fine, but I just can't seem to figure out how they want me to do it - which is why my bookmarks all followed video tutorials on YouTube instead. I discovered I can do all the skills it requires, but I just don't know when or how to apply them when left to my own devices with a written pattern.

The first bookmark I made was a flower:
With this, I learned how to double crochet, how to make a tassel and how to slip stitch. I'm keeping this one for myself since it was the first one made, therefore, a little more special than the other ones.
 
The next one I made is this intricate lacy bookmark:
I learned how to treble crochet with this project, and how to make what the robot sounding lady in the video calls a "pekoe" (like the tea? I have no idea). This bookmark is so pretty! I gifted it to my second sister, who - lets say - was a little ungrateful, haha! She kept insisting that it wasn't a real bookmark, and just a random crocheted piece. But come on, anything can be a bookmark, right? Well, I forced her to use it anyway by sticking it in her book that she's reading, ha!
 
Edit: I'm so dumb sometimes. It was Picot! And I learned that already during the making of my border, which I obviously forgot to do since I was following along like it was my first time ..
 
The third bookmark that I made was a star!
I attached the yellow lining on the outside myself just to make it look a little more colorful. I learned how to do a double half crochet with this bookmark. This one was given to my eldest sister. Oh my goodness though, the brown yarn that I made this bookmark with just does not run out. If you remember, I've made a scarf and hobo gloves with it already, and now this bookmark. Still, I have a tiny ball left. I'll have to be even more creative I suppose.
 
Anyway, that's it for now. After these little projects, I'm thinking of doing a long term project again. But who knows! I'll see what catches my eye next!

No comments:

Post a Comment