Friday 14 February 2014

Hello, Neighbour!

I finally finished my latest project! It's My Neighbour Totoro mittens! I'm really proud of it because I think it turned out quite well despite the cuffs still being a little too loose (although tighter than my previous gloves) and there are little mistakes here and there (that aren't immediately noticeable thank god). I think the worst mistake though is that the left thumb is too small! Well, not exactly too small... I modeled it after my hands, and apparently my thumb is smaller than normal people's because some friends tried wearing it and they can't properly wear the left hand glove because they can't stretch their thumb all the way. The right thumb is okay though since I tried fixing it after realizing my mistake with the left. At least the mittens fit me perfectly.

Anyway, with these gloves I learned:
  • Color stranding! It was really fun to do... but what I did not like was this: 
    That is one of the mittens inside out before weaving together loose ends. I was never really good at nicely weaving the yarn at the end of projects, but usually I only have to do 2-5 at the end. But because of color stranding, I ended up with this many! It became the bane of my existence. I wonder if there's an easier way where you don't end up with so much. If anybody knows, please let me know! There were too many long stretches of one color that I didn't want to do one long floater. I ended up just tying a bunch of knots instead of weaving each one because I'm lazy, heh (I mean come on, you can't really notice from the front!)
  • Making an obvious right hand and left hand glove 
  • 3 needle bind-off
  • Reading a picture instruction
To anybody who wants to see the pattern, here it is! I tweaked some of the pattern because I wanted to get rid of some leftover yarn, but then was scared I wouldn't have enough to complete the entire project. And also, off topic, go out and watch Studio Ghibli movies if you haven't already! They're like Japanese Disney, and highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment